Jerry embraces the whole picture of animal and human health and continually links it back to soil health. He speaks without notes and answers questions on the way. The workshop included presentations on:
Livestock Nutrition – how the digestive system works, essential & non-essential amino acids, acid /alkaline balance, essential fatty acids, true protein, which hay makes more milk, culling techniques.
Soil Fertility – the formulas for soil building benefit of cover crops, soil micro-organisms, the carbon and nitrogen cycles, forage analysis, principles of soil management, the importance of humus & preferred fertilisers.
The Importance of Macro & Micro Elements – the history of diminishing trace elements, changes in mineral content in grains, 31 minerals beneficial to animal life, typical plant composition, what minerals do, deficiencies & free choice recipes.
Forage Diversity – average composition of tree crops, comparison of benefits of various herbs, grasses and trees compared to lucerne, the value and function of hedgerows, & the impact of birds on insect populations.
Enzymes – 5,000 known enzymes divided into 3 basic groups: metabolic, digestive and food enzymes; impact of enzyme deficiencies discussed.
Moulds & Mytotoxins – causes, effects, how to mould proof your farm, & how to deal with mouldy feed.
Parasites – importance of forage diversity, overstocking, land rotation, value of free choice minerals especially kelp.
Treating Livestock Ailments – herd & cow checks, mineral toxicity & deficiency, infertility, the action of herbs, common ailments.
running time approx 12 Hours
Testimonials form the attendees at our filming of the 2 day workshop
– “I was interested in both the animal and human health side of things. We just want to do the right thing, I just can’t get enough of Jerry, and I could listen to him for a week”
– “I came to the course to try and take a more holistic management approach to the pasture based system. Even though this is the reason I came along the human health seminar has been of the greatest interest. Very informative and enjoyable”
– “The information is sensational”
– “The farmers that didn’t attend missed a great opportunity’”
– “Very easy to listen to and a lot of information, it is all unbiased and back to basics”
– “Interesting, so much to take in, at least we have to book to revise it all”
– “He is passionate for the animals and their health, I have learnt a lot”
– “He linked everything together from herd health down through the pastures to the soils and back together again, it all makes sense”
– “Enjoyed it immensely, I’d go again”
– “It opened a lot more doors, I don’t know as much as I thought I did”
– “Huge amount of information over a short time, a lot of what he says backs up what other people have said. Jerry is very entertaining and knowledgeable”