- This event has passed.
Cover Cropping – Short Course
March 14, 2017
Practical short course for farmers keen to trial multi-species cover cropping and boost soil health.
Expressions of interest (EOI) are now open for three by one-day short course in multi-species cover cropping for managers of mixed farming operations.
Multi-species cover cropping can help farmers build a soil resource base that supports production and profit in times of increased climate variation.
They also benefit integrated pest management strategies by providing habitat for predatory insects and bees.
The course will cover a range of topics including:
– Designing you own cover-cropping demonstration trial
– Achieving good crop yield
– Measuring changes in nutrient cycling, water infiltration and stability of you soil
– Managing key soil health processes to improve soil condition and increase farm resilience
– Increasing profitability while lowering risk
– Workshops over the three days
– Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea
– Course notes
– Online webinar support
Participants will cover the cost of the Haney Soil Test. The cost of this test is $250
Should participant numbers be below minimum and participants choose to proceed a cost will apply.
For more information on the training contact:
by phone on 0418 532 130
or email [email protected]
March 2017* — 9:00am – 5:00pm
Topic: Designing you cover cropping trial – selection of multi-species seed-mix for your farm, your machinery and your resource concerns.
July 2017* — 9:00am – 5:00pm
Topic: Options for terminating or harvesting the multi-species cover crop.
November 2017* — 9:00am – 5:00pm
Topic: Developing your grazing management plan to increase soil health, soil carbon, groundcover and animal performance.
* To Be Confirmed – Workshop location and days
The course will be held in the location most central for course participants.