- This event has passed.
Food For Thought: Courageous Leaders. Health, Resilience & Regional Economy
March 24 @ 9:00 am - 3:30 pm$30
Food for Thought: Courageous Leadership – Building health, resilience and regional economy(s) through regenerative food and agricultural systems.
Keynote address – Vermont Farm to Plate Plan – shared learnings from the first 10 years – regenerating a state’s economy through food, land and culture. Mr Jake Claro. Farm to Plate Director of Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund.
Presented by the SE Region partnership of City of Casey, Cardinia Shire Council, City of Greater Dandenong, Mornington Peninsula Shire, Kooweerup Regional Health Service, Monash Health Community, and Peninsula Health with Sustain: The Australian Food Network. A Cardinia Food Circles collective impact initiative.
In 2009, Farm to Plate Investment Program legislation was signed into law and tasked the Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund (VSJF) with the creation of a ten year Farm to Plate Strategic Plan to:
- increase economic development in Vermont’s farm and food sector;
- create jobs in the farm and food economy;
- improve access to healthy local food for all Vermonters.
In 2019, progress made in food system economic development since Farm to Plate’s beginnings in 2009 includes:
- Vermont food system economic output expanded 48%, from $7.5 to $11.3 billion. [2007-17]
- New food system employment increased by 6,529 jobs (11.2% net). [2009-18]
- In total, over 64,000 people and 11,500 businesses are now part of Vermont’s food system.
- Protecting Melbourne’s Foodbowl in a rapidly changing climate – Dr Rachel Carey (Foodprint Melbourne)
- Food Systems and related place based programs, resources and promotion – Local Government and Health sector event partners
- Building a healthy, sustainable, fair and delicious food system – Dr Nick Rose (Sustain)
- Barriers to small-scale sustainable agriculture and food enterprises – Linda Martin-Chew and Annemaree Docking (Plan-it Rural)
- Q & A Panel(s) for Keynote, follow later by Food Systems and Food Enterprises
- Mapping current food and farming policies and related actions – (Sector)
- Identifying local area key challenges and gaps – (LGA)
- Strengthening food systems at the regional level – (Solutions and Innovation)
Closing opportunity(s) and challenge(s) in our local Food Systems – Jake Claro
A full day forum for excellence in food systems leadership, outcomes, and professional networking. One of the first groups in Australia to hear Jake Claro speak, and work with Jake, to review your regional Food System.
The only event, in Melbourne, during Jake’s Australian tour, to workshop with government, industry and community, a paddock to plate food system based around reaching our region’s community food for health and wellbeing, as well as related industry, environmental, educational and employment outcomes.
HEALTH NOTE: If you are unwell on the day of this event, please contact us for a full refund. We hope you get well soon.
What are my transport/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Find the Cardinia Cultural Centre online. Free parking onsite or on street. Bus 926 from Pakenham train station.
How can I contact the organiser with any questions, including dietary?
Ms Lisa Brassington (Cardinia Food Circles) P: 03 5943 4259 E: [email protected] or
Dr Nick Rose (Executive Director) Sustain: The Australian Food Network. M: 0414 497 819 E: [email protected]
Is it ok if the name on my ticket or registration doesn’t match the person who attends?